Virtual Worlds

Interpreting an emerging society where virtual environments are fostering positive evolution

My Photo
Name:
Location: Second Life, Metaverse, United States

Friday, October 06, 2006

"Learning is really about identity formation”

I bumped into an educator avatar named Schomer Simpson in the process of teleporting onto the Second Life Campus. Schomer Simpson (aka Peter Twining, a Senior Lecturer in the Centre for Curriculum and Teaching Studies (CATS) at Open University in the UK) responded, “I'm passionate about making education a more positive and empowering experience for learning,” when I queried him concerning his interests. Peter's current research focuses on constructing a new educational paradigm for the Information Age which he calls Schome, a hybrid liaison integrating school and home.

"Learning is really about identity formation - finding out and developing who you are," explains Twining on the Schome Community Forum. Virtual educational environments populated by avatars offer a unique opportunity for students to explore alternative identities and develop new paradigms in social learning communities.

The learning curve may feel a bit steep for those new to Second Life and inexperienced in the technological world of gaming, but I discovered an enchanting tool on the Second Life Campus, designed to help Real Life students practice their Second Life skills.
The teepees and totem pole make this Student Orientation Area easy to spot while flying over the campus.

I used my ‘page down’ key to make a graceful landing at the entrance to the practice stations.

First I walked to the pond and was instructed to use the ‘Camera Control’ to count the fish. The sound of a horse neighing prompted me to visit Jesper the Horse.


I right-clicked a spot on the ground next to him and chose “sit here” from the contextual menu. Then I clicked ‘stand-up’ and moved on to explore the Pacific NW Totem pole. The instructions for that station suggested that I use ‘Movement Control’ to fly to the height of the Totems, circle them, shout out 3 items I can see from the air and then land softly. ( I skipped the shouting part, finding myself to be still soft-spoken even within a text-based virtual communications system.)

The Musical Sounds Station taught how to make sounds and IM a friend. I touched the gongs and listened to the soothing sounds of the rainstick.

Another station introduced me to basic building tools while the ‘Touring the World’ station encouraged me to use the map to locate Amsterdam, Egypt, and Japan. Then I teleported round the world, taking snapshots that I could email to a friend and using ‘notecards’ to describe the locations.

The ‘Native Bird Puzzle Station’ provided another entertaining way to practice using the ‘Pie Control’ and the ‘Build Tools’ to break apart the puzzle and put it back together again.

Then it was off to the ‘Shopping Expedition Station’ to practice the Second Life skills of ‘offering Friendship,’ teleporting, and using Second Life currency. I used Linden dollars to purchase a new hair-do and some new clothing.

An advanced station guided me through the process of creating a Campfire using ‘Build Tools’ to move virtual wood logs to create a campfire.

I think this is an excellent orientation resource for new students. I had fun and learned a lot! I would like to compliment the creators of these Practice Stations. I see the owner's name as Cheryl Wiggins on many of the objects. I believe she is a member of the Second Life Grad Colony (please correct me if I am wrong).

Peter Twining’s visions of Schome have led to the development of the Aspire Pilot, a project that is setting up the basic infrastructure needed to support young adults in developing a community of people who are interested in creatively developing the future of education. Schome is looking at the possibility of establishing an educational presence in Second Life.

Best wishes to all!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home